Founded in 1950 by the Sisters of Mercy, the school has educated thousands of young men and women from North Philadelphia and the surrounding neighborhoods. MVHS offers the finest in career and technical education and training in an environment that promotes spiritual values, moral development, and service to others.
Conceived originally as Mercy Technical School, the school moved in 1972 from its original location at the corner of Broad Street and Columbia Avenue to its present location at 2900 West Hunting Park Avenue. At that time, the Sisters of Mercy and the Archdiocese of Philadelphia recognized that the school must not only change its physical site but also adapt to changes in the marketplace by offering a high school diploma to each of its graduates.
In 1973, Mercy Vocational High School was born and has since grown in its reputation for excellence in teaching workplace values and vocational education.
In 1982, the school was recognized by the U.S. Department of Education and the Council for American Private Education as one of sixty exemplary private high schools in the nation.
Since 1998, Mercy has been recognized by the PA Cooperative Vocational Education Association for having been the recipient of more post-secondary scholarships than any other vocational high school in Pennsylvania.
Mercy Vocational High School was re-accredited by The Middle States Association in 2014.
Mercy Vocational High School was featured in a US News and World Report article featuring the importance of Career and Technical Education (CTE) in 2014.
Mercy is recognized by the Archdiocese of Philadelphia as a valuable alternative to a comprehensive academic program, providing an environment that is safe and conducive to learning.